Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Hero's Half Marathon

Anderson and I both ran in races this past weekend in Everett, WA.  I ran the Hero's Half Marathon and Anderson ran the Kids Fun Run (1 mile) at the Hero's Half - his first race!

Both of my sisters ran a half marathon too.  Jen was across the country burning rubber up on the roads in the Divas Half Marathon in North Myrtle Beach with a PR of 1:47:37.  She placed 87th of 3,660 participants!  Go girl!!  Alyson ran the Hero's Half Marathon with me and scored a PR!  She took off over 20 minutes of her last half marathon finish.  So proud of them both!

My race was really hard.  Both kids were up late taking turns getting sick.  So I was changing bed sheets and giving baths till about 3am.  In addition, I was dealing with some frequent bathroom visits myself.  Needless to say...I had very little sleep, knots in my stomach, and zero fuel in the tank.  So...of course, I decided to run 13.1 miles.  Who wouldn't?!?!  I was on pace for the first 6 miles but really started slowing down and then hit a wall about mile 10.  The race became more of a "I just want to finish" instead of "this is gonna be an awesome PR" type of race.  I did finish but about 15 minutes after my goal.  But I didn't quit...that's what we told Anderson was important about running in races.

Before race day, Anderson was kept asking if we thought he was going to win the race.  We really tried to focus on the idea that what we cared about was the effort he put in and crossing the finish line no matter how fast or slow he ran.  Aaaaaaaaaand, he was AWESOME!  He ran the entire 1 mile race and never asked to walk or quit.  He was so impressive.  He kept a pretty consistent pace the entire time which was unlike many of the other kiddos that sprinted off for the first few yards.  It's hard for kids (and adults) not to get excited.  By the middle of the race, Anderson was still running and passing kids that were years older than him.  He loved every moment...especially the medal that he got after he crossed the finish line.  We are so proud of him!!

At the starting line for Anderson's race.



So happy to have Grandma Suanne, Auntie Aly, Daddy, Adeline and Kayla there to cheer him on!


Second half of the race...still all smiles!


Running toward the finish line!  Go Anderson!


Anderson enjoying some post race refreshments.

All three runners posing together!  Thanks for coming to support Anderson!



No comments:

Post a Comment